Tuesday, 26 June 2012

London baby!

As I mentioned in my first post, I'm currently interning at New Look Press. I'm renting a room in Bethnal Green, only a 15 minute tube ride from Oxford Circus! The temptation to go crazy and spend is overwhelming - but I've surprised myself and been really good! 



I am loving working in the head office of a big fashion store and learning all the PR ropes. The big move to London all on my own was pretty daunting, especially as I'm from such a small town and have only been to London with family/friends on a couple of weekend trips. But I have officially fallen in love with the city and could definitely see myself working here full time - this is my last week! waaah. 3 weeks in this amazing city is almost over and my has it flown!


The day starts at 9, where in the office we'll read through the newspapers and any magazine released that day looking for New Look and any other fashion coverage. This is to see what items are appearing and being credited. I've learnt that PR and journalists work very closely - journalists need our items and we need their support and credits to encourage readers to buy them. 


When this is done, we'll check emails and look out for journalists wanting high resolution images of the products we have to include in their pages and so send them their way. 
Other parts of the day include sorting out the returns from magazines of clothing/shoes/accessories which stylists have pulled from store for a photoshoot or samples we've sent of the new season range which won't be in store yet but will be by the time of print - perfect for the monthly magazines!


I've also done day to day errands like sorting out the cupboards, the showroom where the new season collections are displayed for journalists to look around. In my first week I was lucky enough to experience the A/W 12 Menswear Show day. This was an extremely busy/fun week which consisted in getting all the items ready - steamed, labels stitched in, gift wrapping, and helping the designers make it look amazing! I got to experience fashion PR in much more depth and understand how the two work together. 


I wish I had started this blog earlier so I could post diaries of my PR interning day, but hey shoulda, coulda, wouldas. That's pretty much the jist in just a few paragraphs. 3 days left and I really am so sad to be leaving!! I <3 LONDON. 

What I wore on my first day :) Black dress (worn as top) NEW LOOK : Orange Skirt with belt RIVER ISLAND : Sheer heart tights PRIMARK : Brown ankle boots RIVER ISLAND

Welcome to New Look! All these shoes were from the Sample Sale which was happening on my very first day! Lucky me!! All interns are allowed 5 free items each and the rest were a £1. AMAZING!

Carnaby Street in London. So cute! I love all the buildings' architecture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment